Subject: Re: modeller smoothing
From: [email-masked] (Vicky Staubly)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 94 00:30:43 EDT

Robert Goemans ([email-masked]) wrote:

>Well, I'm having more trouble with the not-really-a-spaceship I
>mentioned earlier.  The problem: the fuselage needs to be smooth,
>but I have to put a bulgey bit on it.  Two possible solutions I've
>explored: using the magnet tool and pulling out a bubble, and using
>the boolean union function to put them together.  The former has
>worked best so far for creating a smooth shape, but the shape is
>almost too smooth -- I'm going for more of a bubble than a bump.

You may want to try a technique I used to put dents in an object recently
(except, of course, pull out instead of pushing in :). Put a bunch of short
bones (I believe the shorter the bone the smaller the area of influence)
around the circumference of where the bubble will be. Then put a single bone
where the highest point of the bubble will be. Grab the center bone and pull
outwards until the bubble has the desired shape. Using bones is kind of
complicated, so read up on them before trying this. (BTW, you'd be
doing this in Layout rather than Modeler, so you'd then need to use
the "Save Deformation" (or something like that) button in the object
menu/window. (Also, make sure all the polygons in that area are triangles,
so you don't end up tearing the object.)

                                            Good luck,
                                            Vicky

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Vicky Staubly           software engineer             // Amiga
Capitol Multimedia      [email-masked]         \X/  lives! :)